Discover what 'leadership' is and how you can make a difference.
Discover what ‘leadership’ really is. Some people have the word ‘leader’ in their job title, others are completely unaware they are leading. But all health and care staff contribute to the delivery of great care, it is part of the job.
The foundational skills of leadership start with you. In this course understand more about yourself, how to think differently about the challenges you face, how to be authentic, and how to work with a team of unique and different individuals.
What is ‘leadership? What makes a great leader? And even through a period of massive upheaval and uncertainty how can health and care staff be inclusive and effective?
Answer these questions and ask your peers many more in this introduction to leadership that will impact your day-to-day work, at any level.
Part of the NHS Leadership Academy’s Edward Jenner programme.
When working a full-time job, it can be difficult to make time for learning and development.
On this four-week course, you’ll learn how to make space to understand yourself and others as you develop foundational leadership competencies.
With guidance from the experts at NHS Leadership Academy, you’ll discover how you can make the most out of life-long learning opportunities in everyday workplace situations.
One of the courses in the NHS Leadership Academy’s Edward Jenner programme of foundational leadership development.
What topics will you cover?
- An introduction to our approach to learning online
- The elements of good decision making
- The types of issues that leadership can be applied to
- The concept of leadership
- Why leadership matters
- What makes good leadership
- How to be authentic
- Why valuing difference matters and inclusive leadership
- The roots of resilient leaders
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the issues that require leadership behaviours
- Understand the different but inseparable roles of leadership and management
- Describe your personal values through your story
- Determine when you are operating out of alignment with your values
- Notice your bias and how it may impact the workplace
- Discuss with others the value of diversity and difference in a group
- Connect your core values to resilience
- Reflect on your impact on others and determine if you will develop further leadership capabilities
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone working in the health and care sector but has been designed for anyone curious about understanding the personal skills of leadership or management.
Take the introductory course “Course 0 : An introduction to personal development” to get the most out of the Edward Jenner programme before enrolling in this course.
This run of Course 1 is for eligible health and care staff only. An open version will launch soon for non-eligible participants.
Please note that free access to Edward Jenner programme: Course 1 - Exploring what leadership means to me is limited to individuals who meet the eligibility requirements.